Sunday, January 8, 2012

Saturday Auditions: Success?

The open call audition is January 24 where we'll be seeing actors 9 to 70 for a variety of roles both small and large (more than twenty roles in all!). But we realized that Episode 3, "Grandmother's House," could not hold shooting until after auditions because we'd lose the availability of one of our primary locations. So, the call was sent out that the three Episode 3 roles would have to be cast Saturday, January 7. And, boy oh boy, did the actors hear that call.

Eight actors responded to the call and though all of them wanted to read for the same role (the insanely popular Major Smoggy), most of the actors were willing to read for other roles in and out of Episode 3.

I learned a lot. This was only the second time I've been involved in open auditions and the first time I was in the role as the writer only, watching as a director guided the process. I learned quickly that "slate" is a fancy word for "introduction on camera" and that you absolutely *must* have your principle (in this case, Faith) at the auditions to establish rapport. Just because someone is nice to you (the director) doesn't always mean they can carry on an easy conversation with a reserved, almost shy, and very suspicious little nine year old :)

So, I was blessed in many ways yesterday. That Faith was willing to sit with me from 1 to 8pm and watch every audition and pre- and post-conversation. That seasoned, established actors with full resumes are excited about "Ghost Sniffers" because of our heart and dedication. And that I was able to make it through the day, review the tapes, then contact everyone.

Yes, that was one of the other things I learned. "Ghost Sniffers" does things differently. We picked up our Seattle-side actors from the ferry and reimbursed for ferry fees. We served a French Press of fresh coffee with every audition. We served toasted turkey sandwiches with homemade hot pepper jelly. There were jelly beans and tamari almonds. There was conversation. There was brevity. And at the end of the day, just before I started writing for the night, *everyone* heard from me. Because at "Ghost Sniffers," that's just how we roll ;)

I don't expect to hear from actors today about whether or not they have accepted our offers. It is Sunday and I respect that many of us choose not to work on Sundays. But I'll keep everyone posted and I'm sure I'll hear back by the end of Monday.

Keep your fingers crossed with me? :)

Jennifer