Sunday, January 22, 2012

Episode 3 Shooting Day 7

Help us continue. $2000 per episode is all we ever need. Skip a latte... support a ghost *hug*

Zachary and Lizzie joined us five crazy DiMarcos for the long drive out to the wilds of the coast for a day of shooting. There was a wild burst of snow about half way through the two hour drive but then nothing at all... hm. Well... there was no *snow* ;)

I know that some directors push their actors. I know they push their actors whether they're children, teens, or adults. They want the best performance. They want the best shot. They want the emotion *real.*

Well, I want the emotions *real,* too. I want my children, and every single adult actor I work with -- friend, family member, professional, first-timer -- to *really* enjoy creating "Ghost Sniffers." I don't want anyone to "sacrifice for art." I don't need anyone to cry, sweat, or bleed for me or for this cause. I want to encourage, empower, and delight. I want to have something that fills my days while it fills my heart. I want others to walk away with that burning in their chest and keeping them warm through the 30 degree days.

So far, I have had the honor to work with Faith, Maxwell, Brianne and Cris, of course. But now, also William, Christopher, Zachary and Lizzie. William and Christopher have written since their shooting day to share how much "Ghost Sniffers" meant and means to them. How much Faith touched them. And working with both these amazing professionals was an experience I will never forget because their absolute responsiveness and complete focus and dedication.

Today, working with Zachary and Lizzie was the flip side of the coin, in some ways. Zachary and Lizzie don't hold SAG cards. They hold "friend" cards :) But they both braved wind that (literally) almost blew me off a roof and rain that soaked all of us in five minutes. They both hiked in. Then hiked out. Then hiked back again for one piece of forgotten equipment. They waited hours of incidental shooting for one line each, an action, and a close up. They drove four hours. They played press up. They stayed calm and gentle and caring even when we had to call the day short because the cold had rendered Faith's blood sugar meter useless. We cannot shoot if I cannot get a glucose check on my daughter and the rain and cold overwhelmed the little meter that helps me, that *allows* me to keep her with me, healthy and strong.

When I stop and think about it, getting the perfect shot isn't even on my radar compared to the smile on Lizzie's face as she tried to cheer Faith up, or the easy camaraderie between Zachary and I as we hightailed it back for that wayward prop pole that I just couldn't live without :) When I stop and think about it, the perfect shot isn't even on my list. The *story* is on my list -- telling the perfect story -- but that only comes after creating the perfect day -- for my daughter, my son, my family and friends... and that ever-widening circle of friends as I work with professional actors who still remember to put fun and feelings first.