Monday, January 23, 2012

Ken Kills Camera: News at 11:00

The morning started out overcast but turned beautiful about 9am. The clouds broke up and robin egg blue sky lay behind them. What a promise for the new week!

Off Cris, Faith and I went while Maxwell and Brianne held down the fort, so to speak. Though there were only we three humans in the car, there was a total of five actors -- Faith, Ken, GI Red, GI Green, and GI Harvey. Plus their black and gold repurposed Jeep. And an assortment of accessories.

The staging of a scene in the great out-of-doors that involves a scooter, a Barbie VW, a repurposed Barbie Jeep, a nine-year-old, three GI Joes and a Ken doll seems like it would be as easy as pie. But that was until the moment that Ken took a fateful six foot tumble... right onto my wide angle lens. I've never been much a fan or Ken, personally, and I find the new style Ken dolls with their real hair flowing all over the place somewhat disconcerting. But, as a director, I sometimes have to work with people I find disconcerting... okay, I've never had to do that until Ken, but you get the idea ;)

Over all, it was a successful day with all 19 shots in the scene secured. Then we jetted over to my parents' house for quick hugs and thanks so we could pick up the wonderful yellow foam core and laminated copies of the "Ghost Sniffers" article by Erin Jennings that ran in the Kitsap Weekly Arts & Entertainment section. Faith has been prancing around singing, "Forgey is in the neeeewwwssspaper!"

Gracious, I love that kiddo!

Jennifer