Sunday, January 29, 2012

It Just Seems Right

Kristie G., one of the new teen actors cast for Season 1, mentioned she'd watched our first two episodes at least five times each. Then she added gently: "I'm just surprised more people aren't watching!"

Well, to be honest, I'm not surprised; though I understand the compliment inherent in Kristie's comment. I think we have a heart and I think every episode is getting better. I think we're witty and real and honest and, yeah, funny, too. But here's the problem: I make stuff. I write novels and scripts. I paint. I carve harps. I craft operating systems for games. But I don't chase fame very well and I chase money with even less success.

"Ghost Sniffers" is funded for two more weeks thanks to an exhaustive and exhausting KickStarter campaign. That's it. Do I drop everything and... what? We've tried a bank loan and we don't own credit cards. When talking to actors and owners of locations, one of the first things I hear (and the first thing all four banks said) is: What have you done so far?

In other words, show me the episodes.

Am I hopeful? Yes. Every episode (even huge sprawling ones) costs only $2000. The cast and crew work for free. The money goes for gas, permits, props, equipment and rentals, sack lunches, some costumes, stock footage, etc. We've raised the money three and a half times so far and I have faith (pun intended) that we can do it again.

Right now, this very instant, on the front page of our website is a fund raising widget. I skip a latte and donate to the campaign myself. Actually, I can't remember the last time I bought a latte because it gives me more of a rush to donate those $3 to "Ghost Sniffers." Go ahead. Click over the website (www.ghostsniffers.com) and click the D button on the widget on the left hand side. It will show you who has donated so far. That 'Jennifer' listed is me :)

Of course, donating to the show can also get folks cool rewards (www.ghostsniffers.com/rewards.htm) but I just want to keep doing it for my kids... and for all the kids cast in Season 1, all the kids watching the show... and maybe even more for all the kids not watching yet because they haven't found us.

Here's a toast to miracles. To my little Forge and Maxo and all their friends that are about to join them. Instead of lifting a latte to toast with you, I'm going go donate through the campaign widget again. Because... it just seems right.