Friday, July 20, 2012

Outside: Not Just Kiddos with Disabilities

You know... I didn't grow up with autism or Type 1 or OI. I grew up short, but other than that, there was nothing much that challenged me. I was just... well... regular. I loved school. I had diverse friends. I dated. I wrote books and painted paintings and loved gaming and hiking and going to the ocean.

Would there have been a place for me in "Ghost Sniffers" as a kiddo?

Yes. Despite a small typo in a recent article, not all the little actors on "Ghost Sniffers" have medical conditions that challenge them. As a matter of fact, *most* of the cast are only challenged by... well, life! A family business that's unexpectedly failed. A house that's burned down. A sibling being bullied at school. A grandfather with cancer. These are all real challenges that life has thrown at some of our young cast members in the time I've known and worked with them.

But if these kiddos aren't living with a health condition that makes them feel like an outsider... than why are they so passionate about the show?

Because there are GOOD people in this world. Young people who CARE when they see others being bullied or ostracized. Kiddos who reach out to the kids around them and ask, "Are you okay?" and "Can I help?" and even, "I'll be your friend."

Today, Emma Forest (who played Harley and Fess in Season 1), read a blog I wrote about stepping outside your comfort zone and asking your friends to give just $5. The message was not intended for Emma. It wasn't intended for any kiddo. It was meant for all the grown up who have acted in, watched and enjoyed, or just "Liked" the show. But Emma took it upon herself to step outside her comfort zone... WAY OUTSIDE her comfort zone and AS A KIDDO ask all her friends for MONEY!! Eek!

Emma? I'm proud of you. And I'm grateful you're part of the project. Now... who do you want to be in Season 2?

http://kck.st/O8X2Q6