Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Episode 11 Update

As I write Episode 11 (which will be emailed to actors within the next 48 hours), I have come to realize something important. Kids aren't stupid.

Now, personally, this isn't a revelation to me. The last thing I would think of Maxwell or Faith as is stupid. And by that word (which isn't a pretty word but I'm using it on purpose) I mean, "unable to grasp big ideas, unable to feel big emotions, unable to appreciate epic stories." Maybe what I really mean is that the "kids" I know -- whether they're nine or nineteen -- don't want to be talked down to. They want to be respected. They want to be valued. They want to engage in actual conversations about things like, "What is the Occupy movement?" and "Why did the store manager steal from the store?" or "When *can* grandma and grandma get married?" No, kids don't always want all the nitty-gritty details and every single nuance of a situation. But they want to have a basic understanding of the big, wide world around them. Maybe then, growing up won't seem so scary.

This was all tumbling around in my head as I made my way through the script for "Midsummer Knight's Dream." I suppose I was thinking these things because I'm considering adding a rating system to our episodes. No, I'm not adding in any swear words or gore or kissing LOL! It's just that, as Season 1 nears its end, we're tackling some big issues, some grand themes. Our bad guy is a bunny, sure, but it's one BAD bunny. Ryan, a ghost hunter in Episode 9 (played by Breanne Johnson), says, "I hate complex villains." But the truth is, I love complex villains. And I especially love complex villains, when little children are STILL able to defeat them.

Because you know what, friends? Autism and Type 1 and Osteogenesis Imperfecta are great, big, complex things. If we expect our kids to deal with those, than the least I can do, is show them enough respect to create a great, big, complex Monster Bunny for them to bring down.

Maxwell? Faith? Kristie? You make me proud to be a writer. And proud to be your friend *big hugs*