Monday, April 9, 2012

On the Anvil

I was delighted to find a question in my inbox this morning from a "Ghost Sniffers" fan who had purchased the first half of Season 1 on DVD and watched my interview (one of the neat bonus features on the Episode 1 disc). Mark mentioned that he loved the show and was "blown away" by how far we've come (between Episode 1 and Episode 6) and how much we've accomplished. He just had one question. "From reading your blog, I know you're writing the second half of the season now. What songs are on your new playlist?" If you've seen the interview (which really was a blast to do) you know what Mark is talking about. And since I don't intend to do another interview in the future (the interviews included on future DVDs will feature other actors we haven't talked to yet and maybe some shorts), here's the answer Mark :)

Jennifer's "On Repeat" Playlist

Episode 7 - "White Rabbit" by Emiliana Torrini
Episode 8 - "The Pearl" (entire album) by Brian Eno
Episode 9 - "Glad You Came" by The Wanted
Episode 10 - "Lights" by Ellie Goulding (Bassnectar Remix)

I don't know what I'll listen to when I write Episodes 11 and 12 yet :)

You know, the "On the Anvil" interviews were a blast for all of us DiMarcos; we tried to infuse them with a mix of humor, real information, and an honest sense of actually having a conversation with each of us. (We have supporter Rebecca Fitzgerald to thank for the awesome anvil, by the way!) By watching the interviews (there are interviews with Brianne, Cris, Faith, Maxwell and me, plus a sixth interview with the various puppets used in the show -- LOL!), I want people to see who they'll be working with when they come on set. I also wanted everyone to understand more of exactly what it takes to move a script from words on a screen to the finished episode.

In her interview, Brianne talked about designing make up and costumes, and also the video and audio editing process. Cris focused on acting and music composition as well as music direction. Faith talked quite candidly about what she likes and doesn't like about shooting the show and Maxwell explored the ideas behind playing two very different characters. I bounced between questions about being a writer, director and cinematographer (and was very verbose, I must admit). The most fun, I think, was shooting the interview with the puppets -- the Venus Fly Trap, Zombie Crow, the ghost sniffing bees, Boo, and even Kraken. The puppets have taken on personalities that we love to work with on "Ghost Sniffers" and they allow us to infuse the series with a sense of playful joy that remains at the heart of all we do.

Oh my. This blog was supposed to be just a quick answer to a question :) I suppose it became something else -- a little letter to everyone about all the hidden gems that "Ghost Sniffers" creates.